IMPORTANT CHANGE IN THE 2023 SEASON: In the competition for the Grand Prix of Hungarian Nature Photo, we introduce a unified ranking list, the scores of the images submitted for each competition category will be included in the annual ranking list that determines the Grand Prix. Exceptions are pictures not taken in Hungary, the category of Pictures from the Great World, the videos of Nature in Movement category and works from temporary competitions that do not cover the entire competition season.
A. Nature Photos of Magical Hungary:
A.1. Natural Beauties of Magical Hungary
A.2. Birds of Magical Hungary
A.3. Other Animals of Magical Hungary
A.4. Magical Hungary from Compact View
B. Human in Nature
C. Our Favourite: The Experimenting Photographer
D. Forms of Our World – UNESCO
E. Pictures from the Great World
F. Nature in Movement (video category)
G. Magical Hortobágy - Hortobágy National Park of is 50 Years Old
B. Human in Nature
How are humans present in nature, and how does nature respond to that? These are the questions that this subcategory seeks the answer for. It calls for images that show the role and presence of humans in nature, may it be constructive or destructive. On the presented images humans appear directly, but also indirectly through the impact of thier actions and constructions. The mission of the images is to raise awareness of how our presence affects the natural world and of our responsibility for the environment in which we live.
RULES OF THE CONTEST
1. The 2023 application year lasts from April 6, 2023 to December 20, 2023.
2. Images can be uploaded from the 1st (0:01) of each month to the 20th (23:59) of the given month.
3. A. (A.1., A.2., A.3., A.4.), B., C., D., categories, i.e. to all the seven categories a maximum of 7 images per month can be uploaded.
A maximum of 4 images can be uploaded to category E per month.
A maximum of 4 videos can be uploaded to category F every three months.
4. The results at the end of the year and the Grand Prix are determined based on the total score of the best 7 months out of the 9 months. This also gives applicants who miss a maximum of 2 months the opportunity to remain in the running for the year-end Grand Prix.
5. The maximum score available for a nature photo entered in categories A. (A.1., A.2., A.3., A.4.), B., C., D., E.: 70 points. A maximum of 3,430 points can be obtained for the annual ranking list with the best 7 months of 9 months, i.e. 49 uploaded images.
The maximum score available for a video entered in category D: 30 points.
The maximum score available for a nature photo entered in category G: 60 points.
6. The jury scores obtained in categories A. (A.1., A.2., A.3., A.4.), B., C., D., are included in the annual ranking list, i.e. the first three places are awarded to the photographers who collected the most points with their pictures during the competition season. The first-placed photographer will win a Golden Crane statue designed and individually created by the sculptor Szilárd Dienes, symbolizing the Grand Prix, the second-placed one will win a silver-colored statue, and the third-placed one will win a bronze-colored statue.
The scores of the E. and F. categories, as well as works from periodical competitions that do not cover the entire competition season, and pictures of the G. category in 2023 will not be included in the annual ranking list. The points of the public vote are also not included in the annual ranking list.
At the end of the year, in addition to the Grand Prix, the top three photographers who scored the most points during the season in each category, as well as the photographer who scored the most points in the public vote, will also be awarded. Additional special prizes will be awarded at the end of the year.
7. The entry fee is HUF 500 gross per image every month.
A total of 1 picture per month can be uploaded for free in all application categories.
GENERAL APPLICATION CONDITIONS
1. The photos uploaded to the application can be a minimum of 6 Megapixels and a maximum of 10 Megabytes in size.
2. The resolution of the applied photos is the same as the resolution of the original file (RAW image), its size may be reduced by the size of the cut, i.e. the images must be submitted to the application without resizing.
3. The degree of cropping cannot exceed 60% of the image area, i.e. the size of the uploaded image reaches 40% of the pixels of the original recording (raw or original jpg image). If it does not meet this condition, the picture will be permanently excluded from the application by the applicant!
4. In all photographer categories (A., B., C., D., E., G.) of the Magical Hungary competition, the applicant must upload the original RAW file of the image in addition to the submitted image (DNG file is only accepted if if the extension of the camera's original raw file is .DNG), except in the category Magical Hungary from Compact View (A.4.), where it is sufficient to upload the uninterpolated, unmodified, original JPEG file of the image.
5. The application JPEG file must be uploaded in maximum quality (at least image quality equivalent to Adobe Photoshop jpeg 10), preferably in the sRGB color profile.
6. During the processing of the applied images, the following digital modifications can be applied: levels, gradation curves, white and color balance, hue/saturation, brightness/contrast , sharpness and shadows/highlights, noise reduction, black and white conversion.
7. Removing or adding image elements is not allowed, but it is possible to remove technical errors (scratches, chemical stains, dust stuck to the light sensor) that occurred during the creation of the original image. The Magical Hungary photo contest supports and highly values the creative approach. Accordingly: Images taken using the multiple exposure (multi-exposure) technique are accepted, but these images can only be taken within the camera, only with Additive (ADD) or Averaging (AVG) settings. For these images, it is a requirement that the individual shots that make up the multi-exposure image must be taken at the same location and at approximately the same time. With multi-exposure images, it is expected that the viewer is not misled by the image created by combining several shots. For pictures taken with the multi-exposure technique, the relevant check box must be checked when uploading them to the application page. We also accept HDR and panoramic images made from image sequences with image editing software, as well as images made with focus stacking techniques. For these types of images, all RAW images must be uploaded as .zip compressed files. We accept series of images combined with image editing software, as long as the individual shots were taken at approximately the same time without moving the camera (e.g. constellation astroscapes, firefly drawing). For these types of images, all RAW images must be uploaded as .zip compressed files. Black and white conversion of the entire image is allowed. Post-coloring of black-and-white images (e.g. sepia) is not permitted, either for the entire image or for parts of it.
8. Digital manipulation of applied images is not permitted in any category. The original content of the images cannot be changed; shapes, animal behavior, natural phenomena and colors (except for black and white images) must appear authentic and realistic. Images manipulated afterwards with image editing software will be excluded during the technical inspection.
9. Images with any aspect ratio can be uploaded, but the applicant should strive to adhere to the standard page sizes (1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 3:2, 4:3, 5:4, 16:9).
10. In all photographer categories (A., B., C., D., E., G.) of the Magical Hungary competition, EXIF data is mandatory for all files (contest JPEG and RAW images).
11. In the Magical Hungary competition, only one photo from a series of photos can be nominated, regardless of the year of the competition. Images with the same subject, the composition and the elements of the image show minimal differences are considered to be sequential shots. When evaluating serial shots, the applicant can classify a picture as a serial shot, regardless of the time when the pictures in question were taken. These images may be excluded immediately or even after the end of the judging by the contest's organizer. In case of doubt, the applicant may contact the applicant at his discretion.
12. The application photos - regardless of the application year - can only be submitted once. In the case of repeated uploads, the last uploaded image will be excluded. It is an exception if the applicant of the contest makes a different provision for periodic contests.
13. Only pictures taken within the administrative borders of Hungary can be entered into the contests, with the exception of the Pictures from the World (E.) category. If the organizer of the competition is convinced that a picture taken outside of Hungary has been entered, the picture will be excluded.
14. The image file must not contain any reference to the identity of the author of the image, otherwise the image is not eligible to participate in the competition and will be disqualified.
15. The applicant has the opportunity to delete or modify the images uploaded to the application until the end of the current application at the latest.
16. If the organizer of the photo contest is convinced that a picture has been entered that does not comply with any of the above rules, after considering the error, he may exclude the affected picture from the contest. Credit paid for excluded images will not be returned to the applicant. The organizer of the photo contest also reserves the right that if, after the closing of the monthly contest, at any time during the year, he becomes aware of a violation of the above rules in the case of an image, he may subsequently delete the image and revoke any award.
17. The applicant of the contest can delete an image that does not conform to the spirit, values and standards of Magical Hungary.
18. The pictures will be presented to the jury after the entry fee has been paid.
19. The application is open to all registered users, regardless of professionalism, age, gender or nationality.
20. The images must not be objectionable from an ethical point of view. Only pictures that were taken without causing damage to the wildlife or disturbing the wildlife can be nominated. The images may not be created with manipulation that falsifies reality, may not violate public morals, and may not violate rights related to human dignity.
21. The applicant acknowledges that all responsibility for possible personal and copyright violations caused by the preparation of the submitted images or their public presentation (exhibition) rests with the applicant, including the financial responsibility resulting from the violation.
22. By uploading the application photos, the participant automatically accepts the application conditions, and at the same time consents to the application of the application's photos freely, with the name of the applicant, without time and space restrictions, in accordance with Article LXXVI of 1999 on copyright according to the methods of use permitted by law, he can use it in full, free of charge, on the web and social pages of Magical Hungary, as well as in its printed publications (magazines, books, publications, advertising materials, etc.), in its audiovisual content (short films, VM songs, etc.), and in publications and albums related to the contest, as well as in exhibitions and other electronic/printed publications promoting them. The applicant of the contest undertakes to return the amount received from the income of commercial publications and objects exclusively to his own nature photography and nature conservation activities.
23.The participant may subsequently request the deletion or suspension of their public profile, however, their photos uploaded to the photo contest will remain public in the photo gallery together with the creator's name, the applicant will not delete these photos from the system and the photo gallery. All points of the General Entry Conditions remain valid for the uploaded application photos, even after the participant's public profile has been deleted.
24. The applicant of the contest may hand over the images of the photo contest and the exhibition (electronic files/exhibition enlargements) to the exhibiting institutions and their nature conservation partners, and they may use the images for the purposes of promoting environmental and nature conservation. In addition, the submitted images may appear, also free of charge, in the publications, online interfaces and other materials of the Hungarian national park directorates and their state maintainer, the Ministry of Agriculture. When using the photos, the partners of the contest announcer agree to include the name of the photographer and Magical Hungary.
25. In the case of using the images for commercial products, the applicant will contact the applicant and discuss the conditions with him.